Saturday, January 26, 2013

Solo in the Snow

Fresh from my ECG "all clear", and in view of the road conditions, I set the alarm 30 minutes early and ran to the UP, arriving just 2 minutes after the UT. Waited until 8:45 then set off for WH trig point, passing this at the top barn:-


Part way up the diagonal to Georges Lane there was a shout from behind and I was soon joined by Albert, FSS and Tom, who were on the first leg of a winter (with a vengeance) CD! It's to be hoped that the team found easier conditions along the way:-


I hadn't planned to detour via Noon Hill, but being a sociable chap, I stayed with them long enough to take this:-


We parted company at that point and I dropped down to Georges Lane. Along to the wooden bridge then the 'fun' started. I used to be able to get from the bridge to the trig point in 9 minutes. Today it took me 45, several of which were spent trying to negotiate one particularly tricky snowdrift. It was cold on top - very!


Using the delay on the camera:-


I had planned to return home via the gardens, but I'd had enough of the drifts by then, so used the mast road, Foxholes anod Lee Lane through to Grimeford Lane.

Time on feet - 4 hours 1 minute, distance - just over 10 (tough) miles - an exhilarating outing. I wonder how the big boys got on?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conditions got worse as the morning wore on - we had a little difficulty finding the track to Coalpit Road. We met a walker near the track who thought he was on it. He was close enough for us to find it while he headed off on the wrong direction, perhaps following our tracks.

Took us about 4.5 hours to work our way round to Winter Hill (without Counting Hill). There were just too many waist deep snow drifts.

Another time.

Ian

Anonymous said...

Great pics EtU - quite an outing. I chose the local option to avoid moving the car. TYC had to be dug out of UP car park, but managed a run, T'Y chap ran over two lads from home :)